Just got access to Facebook’s new Graph Search feature.
There’s nothing “new” here, in that Facebook is not all of a sudden showing photos of you that you’ve hidden or never knew existed, it’s just making it easier for it to, well, be surfaced.
Graph Search is not done being built-out yet, so things that are dependent on relationships won’t yield as much result (sorry, people looking for single friends of their friends, nothing here for you yet). And everything is dependent on what you are willing to share with Facebook – so if your Facebook is completely empty, you’re finee.
Will Graph Search change the way we interact with Facebook? Probably. In the limited time I’ve been playing with it, new ideas start surfacing of how to use this, for both personal and professional purposes. That being said, again, this is all dependent on informations that users have shared. The way to conduct searches is a bit strict too, so the more Facebook can figure out how to bring in natural language processing into this, the better this experience will become.
What does all this mean for you?
- You think those photos are long gone? Check again. Those photos you are tagged in just might not be so private. I tested out Graph Search with a bunch of friends and the response was overwhelmingly “HOW DID YOU GET THAT PHOTO”.
- Those Likes buttons you’ve been clicking on just on a whim? They’re about to come back and bite you in the ass. Start unliking things if you don’t want to be linked to those search results.
- There’s a lot Facebook can surface, yeesh. Start conducting vanity searches the moment you receive the Graph Search upgrade.
There’s all sorts of fun things you can do here – like:
- Photos of Eric Ho from 2011 taken in New York, New York
- Friends of Eric Ho who Likes Basketball
- Friends of friends who work at Facebook
- Males who like Gossip Girls (1. nothing wrong with that, and 2. FB refers to “females” – how very Jersey Shore of them)
- Friends of Mark Zuckerberg who Likes Google (haha, no result for this yet)
I am now taking requests! Let me know what kind of searches you would like to see and I’ll update the post with some of these hilarious results that are popping up.