Late night thoughts:
Man, why does search suck so bad in social?
Both Facebook and Twitter really does a horrible job at search – can never find what I need, here are some examples:
- Trying to find a person on twitter
- Trying to find your own old tweet (say, your first tweet?)
- Trying to find the right person to include in your tweet (auto complete sucks majorly here, try it)
- Trying to find find someone using their phone number on Facebook (got a missed call, do I know the person? let me check – oh wait I can’t)
- … and the list goes on and on
Oh, and here’s a complaint for GOOGLE, who should’ve mastered this by now. Google Contacts – why are there so many damn duplication in here? Should be able to say, parse a number entry and compare and match contacts with the same numbers, no? Or similar names? E.g. Tiff = Tiffany? For the search giant, sure hasn’t put any effort into creating a good contacts program.
Completely understand the amount of data and processing that goes into these things, but come on! Maybe you put a cap in time frame or something, but sigh….
There’s no way that the twitters of the world will open up their door to let Google power their search – these data is how they make money, so they need to figure out these kind of things fast… I’m looking at you, Facebook, all those information and could’ve capitalized a lot more on advertising and personalized customizations.
If someone cracks social search, please please let me know.